Ars Canusina® is a brand of artistic handicrafts made in the area once belonging to Countess Matilda of Canossa.
Dr. Maria Bertolani Del Rio was a psychiatrist working at San Lazzaro mental hospital in Reggio Emilia, who spent much of her spare time learning about local history, especially the era when Countess Canossa ruled over the area. She was responsible for setting up a handicrafts centre that gave some patients the opportunity to work, producing handicrafts inspired by traditional patterns and motifs, set down in a book published in 1935.
Today, Ars Canusina is distinctive of the area once ruled over by Countess Matilda, a sliver of the ancient domain straddling the provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Mantua and Ferrara, at whose heart lie the fiefs dominated by the ancient fortress of Canossa, where Emperor Henry IV was famously humiliated before Pope Gregory VII, thanks to the strategic negotiating powers of Matilda.
The Ars Canusina collective trademark we know today was developed from the brand originally registered by Maria Del Rio and is owned by Casina Town Council who licenses it to a select group of artisans who work in the province of Reggio Emilia and are member of Ars Canusina Consortium.
The fabulous items and home accessories we make in our glass works are all handmade and are perfect examples of genuine skill Made in Italy.
Production is subject to compliance with quality criteria and is produced as single items or limited editions.